I love the idea of family traditions passed on year after year. I can remember holiday traditions from when I was growing up, and thinking back on those I loved how it always felt like Thanksgiving or always felt like Christmas, simply because we were doing those fun traditional things year after year.
When I was growing up all of our immediate family lived in the same city or very close by, so it was easy to keep those traditions going. For us, we’ve always lived different places and never close to family so we have to travel every holiday, and it’s hard to establish traditions for our family to continue each year.
I mentioned before how we switch the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays between our families, and it’s true that when we are with the Tucci’s for a holiday we have little traditions we uphold, and the same goes for when we visit my family. I’m so thankful for that, because those are the things my kids will remember as they grow!
SOMEDAY I would love to establish some tried and true holiday traditions that take place at our house. Just for fun, here is a little list of traditions I’d like to take part in for the Thanksgiving holiday!
- I’d love to have Thanksgiving dinner at our house. I love the idea of having a warm and cozy house filled with family and even friends. The smells, the sounds, the atmosphere.. I can almost picture it! I love the idea of certain people bringing their Thanksgiving speciality to share. (My sister-in-law makes the BEST mashed potatoes) Just lots of love and laughter.. I really hope someday we can make this a reality!
- I’ve tried to start this the past couple years with no success, but I’d love to be able to sit down as a family and watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving videos. I can’t seem to keep my kids interested in them long enough to finish them, but it’s a new year! We shall try again!
- While my kids are still young, I’d like to choose a Thanksgiving themed craft to do together. Lately we’ve been working on a couple “family” projects, and it’s been a lot of fun. I love the idea of family time, and it’s something sort of laid back and easy. I know I will look back on moments like that with fond memories, and hopefully my kids would too!
- I would love to bake a pumpkin pie, a new Thanksgiving recipe we choose together, or my “famous” carrot cake with Kate every year. I think as she grows that may be a sweet memory for her. Then, hopefully it’s something she can pass along to her children, and she can talk to them about how she used to do that very same thing with her momma when she was a little girl.
- I would love to take a family picture every year. I’m sad we haven’t done this in the past, but I would love to have that memory keepsake to look back on!
- Along with hosting the fun family time at our house, I’d love for the ladies to bring recipe cards to swap with each other.. so we can gain new AWESOME recipes each year. I have so many ideas for something like this, I think it could be a lot of fun!
- We do this ALMOST every year, but I love the idea of waking up Thanksgiving morning in our comfy PJ’s and eat a yummy special breakfast while we watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- I think it would be so fun, lighthearted, and put us in the holiday spirit to have a little friends get together the week before Thanksgiving. To have a group of friends, neighbors, co-workers, or church members that you enjoy spending time with is such a blessing, and I think it would be a nice time to spend an evening together with some good food and great company!
- In the spirit of feeling thankful for all we have, I think it would be the perfect time to give back to others. Either invite a family that doesn’t have much to our home for dinner and send them home with all the leftovers, or some random acts of kindness throughout the week, or baking a bunch of yummy treats and dropping them off with some elderly people in your community .. those things would bring me SO MUCH JOY. There’s just something about doing things for others that makes me even more thankful for the things I’ve been blessed with.
- I doubt my entire family and all my friends would want to come back over the next day for this, but I think having an OPERATION CHRISTMAS MODE day after Thanksgiving would also be a fun tradition to have as a family.
I’m so excited for the holiday season this year! I cannot wait for the day when we can start to incorporate these traditions into our family Thanksgiving celebrations.
I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL week!