Planning for a new year has always been one of my favorite things. I’m a list maker and a planner and I have always enjoyed making plans (and lists) for what I wanted to accomplish in the year to come. This year, for the first time since I can remember, I’m not super motivated to make plans for a new year. From August throughout the end of 2017, life has been hard for us. We’ve had losses, and heartbreaks, and stress, and I just feel really tired coming in to 2018. When I would think about trying to plan happy things for the months ahead, I wasn’t feeling interested or motivated.
Slowly, with 4 days left in December, I feel like I’m getting some excitement about 2018. Lord willing, we should have a really wonderful year. We are so much better off financially than we have ever been before, Shelby will finish up his degree here at Mississippi State in December, Tristan & Kate are growing and succeeding and are healthy. I think it’s time to switch my focus to the positives that can come from 2018 and leave the heartbreaks of 2017 behind.
My goals this year are starting out sort of small I guess. I want to get our sense of stability and routine back before I really start to tackle new things, but with the little list of goals below I think I can get a good start.
- Continue to reduce clutter, clean out the unnecessary, simplify our routines and our responsibilities.
- Create memories with the kids. Do fun things like we used to, and focus on what’s important instead of trying to keep with with the “busy” that sneaks it’s way into our life.
- Take care of myself. I put myself last, and by the time I get to myself I’m so tired. I would love to do things I’m interested in and allow myself to carve out some time to do them, and not feel guilty about it.
- Stop stressing and worrying about things that aren’t my responsibility to worry about. Set healthy boundaries in all areas of my life, so I can reduce the amount of stress I allow others to put on me.
- Have fun! I don’t let myself have fun, and I have no idea why. Life is short, dishes and laundry can wait, other things are more important.
My list isn’t huge and elaborate, but it’s simple things I think I can build a great foundation on for starting out 2018. SIMPLIFY.. get back to the basics and what’s really important. I hope everyone has a wonderful 2018!